Kiwifruit is one of the world's most nutritious fruits. Eating just one kiwifruit provides an adult with his or her daily requirement of vitamin C. It is also a great source of dietary fibre, magnesium, folic acid, mineral potassium and copper.
Studies have shown that more than one type of pesticide has been found in 25% of non-organic kiwifruit. These pesticides are known to affect the hormone system. Now, if that's not enough to convince you to eat organic, below are some more reasons why you should choose organic kiwifruit -
- Kiwifruit contains an abundant amount of nutrients and antioxidants. Antioxidants include both vitamin C & E.
- The vitamin C in kiwifruit helps cleanse the body of impurities, boosts the immune system against colds and flu, helps repair the body and combats the effects of aging and stress. Vitamin C can also reduce the severity of conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and help in preventing conditions such as colon cancer, atherosclerosis, and diabetic heart disease.
- The vitamin E in kiwifruit also helps cleanse the body, lower high cholesterol, protects blood cells, muscles, lung and nerve tissue.
- Kiwifruit has a wealth of phytonutrients, including: carotenoids, lutein, phenolics, flavonoids and chlorophyll.
- Kiwifruit aids in the digestion process, due to the enzyme actinidin.
- Kiwifruit helps to prevent the mutation of genes that may initiate the cancer process, as it contains an antimutagenic component.
- Kiwifruit is a great source of dietary fibre. This fibre can reduce high cholesterol levels, which in turn may reduce the risk of heart disease and heart attack. Fibre is also good for binding and removing toxins from the colon which therefore helps in reducing the risk of colon cancer. It also helps remove potentially harmful substances from the body and finally fibre is also good in keeping the blood sugar levels of diabetics under control.
- Kiwifruit is low in sodium and high in potassium.
- Kiwifruit contains more potassium than a banana or citrus fruits.
- Kiwifruit contains an amino acid, arginine, which has been used in the treatment of impotence in men.
- Kiwifruit contains serotonin, which causes a calming affect in most people.
- Kiwifruit contains minerals (electrolytes) essential for replenishing those minerals lost during exercise.
- Kiwifruit is among the small number of foods that contain measurable amounts of oxalates. Oxalates are a salt or ester of oxalic acid that is a naturally occurring substance in plants, animals and humans. When a high amount of oxalates are concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallise and cause health problems, so it is recommended that people who have kidney or gallbladder problems avoid eating kiwifruit.
How to select and store kiwifruit
- Unripe fruit will be firm to touch, it is best to buy firm kiwifruits and let them ripen after purchase
- When selecting kiwifruit to eat, apply gentle pressure. Ripe kiwifruit will give to gentle pressure and will have the sweetest taste with a fragrant smell.
- Avoid very soft skin, shriveled or those which are bruised or have soft/damp spots.
- The shape of a kiwifruit should be plump and oblong, with thin brown fuzzy skin.
- Flavor is mild and sweet.
- Kiwifruit can be left to ripen for a few days to a week at room temperature, away from direct light or heat.
- Placing them in a paper bag with an apple, banana or pear will speed up the ripening process as these fruits produce ethylene gas.
- Ripe kiwifruits can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge.
- If you want to store ripe kiwifruit for longer than a few days, place the kiwi in a plastic bag in the fridge, as the plastic bag helps reduce moisture loss and keeps the kiwi fresh for longer.
- Once opened the flesh is emerald green with tiny edible black seeds.
Enjoying a couple of kiwifruit may significantly help protect your health - who would have thought that something that tastes so good could also be beneficial to your health! Gives a whole new meaning to the saying that "good things come in small packages"!!!